Saturday, August 23, 2014

Why I Am Not Taking the ALS Challenge


Ok, I get it. I am so glad that this group found a way to raise awareness and money. What a great idea! 

With that said, I won't be taking the ALS challenge. 

It is not because I think it dumb or anything like that. I am just choosing to use my resources on social media and financially toward a cause that speaks to my heart, infertility.

 Did you know that 1 out of 8 people suffer from some form of infertility? Those numbers are staggering! Did you also know that most insurance companies don't cover any sort of infertility treatment? You want to do a seaman analysis? You pay $200. You want to get on fertility meds? You pay between $50-$1000 dollars a cycle, out of your own pocket to do it. You want ultrasounds on CD 3? Fork over $350 to pay for it just to see if your eggs are developing. There is no financial support to treat this condition. It is treated as if it is luxury to procreate and if you can't do it, oh well. 

That doesn't begin to cover the emotional stress of infertility. People don't understand it and say things like, "when are you going have kids?" or "have you tried...?" and  "Well my sisters friend had infertility issues and then they adopted and got pregnant. Why don't you just adopt?"

The roller coaster of emotions that you run through each cycle range from hopefulness, excitement, fear, depression, self loathing, anger, anxiety and resignation. Sometimes all in one day. Not just because of the hormones you are taking or the stress. 

I support those who choose to donate and take the ALS Challenge. I applaud the genius who came up with the idea. I just also know that there many other causes out there who need the same kind of exposure and support and I choose to take the challenge to help those who don't have the same kind of media coverage that ALS currently does. 

No comments: